Do You Need a Copywriter?
You’ve heard it over and over again: content is king. In order to have an engaging and trustworthy website, you need content that speaks to the readers and presents important information. Content has to be engaging and relevant. To have that, you need knowledge, skill, and time — a bigger demand than you may think.
For many entrepreneurs, the other aspects of running a business prevent them from being able to personally produce quality material. This is where copywriters come in. These professionals have experience creating content for websites just like yours. They know what works and what doesn’t, plus it’s likely they’re up-to-date on industry trends. Still, some people are reluctant to hire someone for a position they believe they can do themselves.
Do You Need a Copywriter?
Asking the Right Questions
In truth, any literate person can create content for his or her website. It may not be as polished as what is created by a professional, but it’s technically possible to churn it out on your own. All you need is time to pull it together.
Just because something’s possible doesn’t mean it’s ideal. There’s a big difference between just writing and good writing, especially when it comes to content for the internet. People’s expectations are wildly different. If you attempt to craft an article like you would a college essay, you’re going to see a very high bounce rate.
If you’re hesitant about hiring a copywriter, ask yourself the following:
- Do you know how to determine your audience and sell them on your products and services? Copywriting isn’t just about creating words to fill a page — it’s about providing words with an intense marketing purpose. Professionals know from experience what types of tone and keyword differences elicit the biggest reaction.
- Can you summarize your company? Chances are you have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears invested in your company, especially if you’re a small business owner. That dedication usually turns into well-deserved pride. However, pride makes long-winded descriptions and fluff about the wonders of your company. An outside writer can create effective content without overdoing it and risking losing the audience.
- Do you have knowledge or experience when it comes to search engine optimization (SEO)? SEO is the driving force behind most companies with an online presence. Copywriters deal with content every day that has to be primed for search rankings, back linking, and keyword density. If you’re not intimately familiar with these you could be missing out on some big opportunities.
If your answer to any of these was “no,” it may be time to look into the world of copywriters. But even if you did say “yes” to them all, there’s one thing to consider: time.
There are so many aspects to running a business and shouldering them all is tough enough on its own. Clearing your schedule a couple times a week to churn out articles and blog posts is nearly impossible for most. That’s valuable time that could be spent elsewhere. Unfortunately, without a copywriter you may be unable to post regularly, which damages your credibility.
There are plenty of other reasons copywriters are incredible and valuable additions to your business, such as:
- Familiarity with trends. You don’t have to miss out on internet phenomena because of inexperience — copywriters know how to handle trends and make them relevant.
- Higher quality work. Even if you like English and writing, chances are your skills won’t match those of a professional writer.
- An outside view. Being close to your industry is good, but an outsider can explain it to other outsiders without becoming biased.
- Stress-free content variation. No more scrambling to come up with new ideas — your writers do it for you.
- Effective formats. Copywriters know about blank space, F formats, headings, and other organizational tactics that produce the best results.
- Cross-compatibility. Copywriters can craft new blogs, then turn right around and write an exciting plug for your emails or social media posts — no extra effort required.
Copywriters are revolutionizing the way companies build their online presence. If you want to stay ahead of the competition and reach your audience effectively, it’s time to add a professional writer to your repertoire.
Writer Photo via Shutterstock